Blog #5 EOTO

 The EOTO technology that drew my attention most was the presentation on Netflix. I have personally known Netflix for years and I have my own account. I never thought about the company's history while I watch tv shows and movies. As I listened to the presentation the coolest fact that stood out to me was that Netflix was the building block of other streaming services as we know them today. 


Originally, Netflix functioned similarly to traditional rental services, you could rent DVDs from Netflix just like at Blockbuster and Redbox. However, its innovative transition to a streaming service marked as a seismic shift in the landscape of entertainment as a whole. By 2007, Netflix officially branched off and presented itself as a streaming service. This led to the demise of other rental services/stores like Redbox and Blockbuster. This progressive move paved a path for the now plethora of streaming services that are available today, each capitalizing on the demand for convenient media consumption.


I did not grasp that Netflix is the reason why we have so many streaming services and the fact why all things like Redbox and Blockbuster are gone. The rise of subscription streaming in the early 2000s is also the reason cable and DVD usage plummeted. When Netflix subscription streaming came out in the early 2000s it flipped the markets for cable and DVD companies. Users sided with the accessibility and variety offered by the streaming service platforms. The almost instantaneous success showed companies that people want easy access to a huge amount of visual material. This led to the creation of Hulu, Disney +, Amazon Prime Video, Appl TV, and many more.



I also learned that Netflix puts a lot of money out. They pay directors to gain access to their shows and present them on their platforms. This allows for a wide variety of shows from war movies to kids movies. Each show/movie that Netflix has is oh high quality matieral. Reflecting on my insights from the presentation, I gained a new profound understanding of Netflix's impact on the entertainment world. Its revolutionizing changes revolutionized the way we get to see media today. It also catalyzed the proliferation of streaming services that have become integral parts of the modern media culture as we know it.

Comments

Popular Posts